May 10 & 11, 2011 - Sturbridge, MA
- Tuesday, May 10 at 4 PM & Wednesday, May 11 at 4 PM
- Preview: 1 PM to 4 PM on Wednesday & inspection before each table sells on Tuesday
- Host Hotel & Conference Center
- Sturbridge, MA
Our May 10th & 11th New England specialty antique costume and textile auction will again take place during Antique Market Week at Brimfield. Our New England location, the Sturbridge Host Hotel, is less than seven miles east of the Brimfield antique fields and about an hour from Boston’s Logan Airport (BOS) or Hartford, CT Bradley Airport (BDL). Our May sales in the Host Hotel ballroom will be held rain or shine. Mention Augusta Auctions when booking your rooms to receive a courtesy discount for your accommodations.
To be Sold
- MENS: 18th C. embroidered coats & waistcoats, work clothes, flannel shirts, suits, military uniforms, teens & twenties patterned shirts, tuxedo shirts, 19th C vests, 30s-50’s printed & hand painted neckties, collars & cuffs, etc.
- WOMENS: 1750-1980’s dresses, evening & day wear, bustle dresses, sport clothes, beaded, brocade, printed cotton, Chinese jackets, whites, lace coats, lingerie, corsets, high button boots, 19th-20th C hats, shoes, handbags, belts & gloves, garments by Worth, Doucet, Maison Rouff, Hawes, Cashin, Norell, Chanel, many others.
- CHILDRENS: Christening gowns, 19th C. baby bonnets, sailor outfits, 1950s kids garments, chambray shirts, 19th C. calico dresses, patterned socks, 20th C play clothes.
- TEXTILES: Exquisite lace 18th - early 20th C., many 19th C. quilts, paisleys, shawls, 18th C. silk brocade & chintz fabrics, fine linens incl. Leron-Paris embroidered silk sheet sets, crewel work, needlepoint, metallic lace, trims, & more.
- OF NOTE: Navaho & other rugs, French swatch books, fans, parasols, costume jewelry, display racks, acid free boxes.
European and Asian treasures from the 18th through late 20th centuries: vintage & designer garments with large volumes of wearable from the 1950’s, 1960’s & 1970's, abundant 19th C clothing, many 19th C. quilts, coverlets, exceptional heirloom laces, hand embroidered & woven textiles, quantity of handmade & machine made paisley shawls, men's garments and accessories, Chinese & Japanese embroideries, weavings and robes, thousands of fashion accessories - shoes, fans, hats, bonnets, beaded bags, jewelry, ephemera, etc.
These rare objects have been hidden away for decades in the storage facilities of many legendary American museums: The Brooklyn Museum (NY), Smith College Costume Collection (MA), The Chrysler Museum of Art (VA), The Goodwill Historic Costume Collection (OH), The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (CA) and others. These amazing collections, as well as selections from other institutions, estates and private consignors will be sold to the highest bidder, free of any minimum bids or reserves.
Both of our sales begin late afternoon - at 4pm - just as the Brimfield Antique fields are winding down for the day.
Our now-legendary DISCOVERY sale begins promptly at 4PM on Tuesday May 10th. All DISCOVERY items are uncatalogued. Preview of the 5,000+ DISCOVERY objects will be allowed prior to the tables being sold. The boxes will be opened and contents revealed just prior to the bidding. Buy one special piece or the whole table. Be prepared for a long sale filled with incredible finds.
Our CATALOG sale will begin at 4PM on Wednesday May 11th with the 422 collector and trade lots on display. Preview begins at 1PM and runs until the sale begins.
Because of the volume of fashion and textile objects that have to be sold over the two sale days, there will be NO PHONE, INTERNET or ABSENTEE BIDDING. You MUST ATTEND in person to view and bid on these lots. EVERYTHING that we have been collecting since last summer WILL SELL on May 10th & 11th.
Our DISCOVERY & CATALOG SALES feature large trade and collector lots that are guaranteed to please every serious collector of vintage fashion and textiles. Both sales promise treasures from many incredible museum collections over two exciting evenings. Surprises are guaranteed.
We are sorry but ABSENTEE, PHONE & INTERNET bidding options WILL NOT be available for these Massachusetts sales.
Internet, phone and absentee bidding will return for our November 2 NYC sale.
Click Search Lots & Photos above to find descriptions of all 422 May 11th lots posted in the order of sale. Type in any search term or era and view available lots in the searchable web catalog. Most lots won't be photographed because all bidders mustl be in attendance to preview before the sale.Photos are only included to provide a sampling of the variety of lots that will be offered.
You'll be provided ample time before each table sells to view DISCOVERY lots on Tuesday and three hours to view all of the catalog lots on Wednesday.
Follow the Catalog PDF button at the top of this page or the link at the bottom to view or print the catalog for this sale.
We hope to see you in Sturbridge.